Things to try
So if you are in the early stages of things, still in the closet or just trying to figure out your first steps, why not try some of the below?
- Try experimenting with different names, what name would you want people to call you? Its okay to change your mind on this, a name is very personal and it can be quite common to go through several names until you find one that works for you. A useful thing to do is to try out different names at costa/starbucks, simply give your chosen name and see how it feels been called with that name.
- Try going non-binary, for some people, this can be a way of dipping your toe into things without going all the way, for others this can be an end game.
- Experiment with mannerisms, and voice. These are not something that happen overnight, but something you work on over a number of years. It can help you come to terms with things and transition slightly easier.
- Come out to close friends, (if you feel comfortable doing so), alternatively try coming out to people at one of the local support or social groups.
- Experiment with your sexuality, while gender identity is totally separate to sex, for some people sexuality can change as they transition, also just like gender identity sexual identity can be repressed, so it can be worthwhile experimenting or just simply asking yourself the question.
Things to try for Trans-Women
So a few extra things to try if your a trans women:
- Try shaving all hair below your head and seeing how that makes you feel.
- Try nail polish, often you can paint your toes, and no-one other than yourself will see them.
- Experiment with makeup & clothes in the comfort of your own home, you don't need to leave the house if you are not comfortable.